Barcelona Day Off - Moto Day #2


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Decide to go against my norm and ride in shorts and a t-shirt, it's just too hot and humid otherwise. Get off to a great start by going down a one-way street the wrong way, and right in front of the Policia!! The others follow me and we get turned around, but the guy in the Policia car keeps yelling and pointing in Spanish. I think he's pointing at the one way sign and telling me I'm an idiot, but he wants me to pull over, so I do. He and his partner get out and he keeps yelling at me, I try to tell him I don't understand, but he speaks no English. His partner does a little and tells me to be more careful and go about my business. Whew!! I thought I was getting a ticket or worse. I must explain that there are only small signs on the buildings here telling you the name of the street and with all the roundabouts, it's tough to know where you are. Plus you spend most your energy trying not to get run over. I'm not a complete idiot, just a tourist...

Since the one way was the only straight shot out of town I try to take us down a few blocks and up to try and get to the highway out of town that we want, the A-2. More traffic and small streets and we're lost again. We stop and Joline asks directions, and we get on the B-20, but going the wrong way. After a few miles I realize we are going the wrong direction, so we exit and find a hotel and ask directions again. This time we get going the right way (not easy) and find the A-2, which is marked from one direction, but not the other. We take the A-2 up to Montserrat, a beautiful serrated mountain, with a monestary and one of the highest peaks in Spain (+1000 meters above sea level). We take the Funicular (tram) up to the Sant Joan peak, it only goes part way, we walk the rest. Take as many pictures as I can, it's so hot you can see the haze in the pics.


Montserrat

Back down to the main area we go for some yummy Gelato (ice cream), I get Banana. Mmmmmmmmm.

Since our low fuel lights came on on the way up, we go down the opposite side of the mountain and stop for Petrol immediately. Here we part company with Brian K and his wife, they are headed back to Barcelona and then to the beach. Brian C. and I decide to head south towards Tarragona, but with no particular destination.

The ride from Montserant is beautiful and when we're back on the A-2 highway we get off around Mantorell and head down the N-340 through Spanish wine country. It's beautiful with many small towns and lots of old buildings. Lots of traffic though, and we are finally able to buy a proper map at a truck stop. As soon as we can we head for the coast and end up in Calafell Platja, a small seaside town with a boardwalk and shops/restaurants in front of the beach. We drive around and finally find some parking (which is at a premium her in Spain). We walk down to the beach and decide to grab a small bite as it is 5:30pm, we plan on eating a better meal later. We split a pizza and dine alfresco, watching the people walk by.

After dinner and more walking around, we head back towards Barcelona on the C-32 highway. We exit at Sitges, as everyone has been talking about how cool it is. They were right!! Another seaside town with a boardwalk, many restaurants, bars and shops. Very trendy and very gay (not that there is anything wrong with that). We walk around taking some photos and generally soaking up the atmosphere. Stop for a drink at a bar (agua for me), then start looking for a place to eat. Decide on the 'La Santa Maria', after passing the 'La Nina', guess there's a 'La Pinta' around somewhere (Christopher Columbus would be proud)... Order paella, and meet the couple sitting next to us. They are from California, and both are originally from Central America. Nice people, we talk about the places we have seen, and places to still go to. Food comes, paella is delicious, but some of the seafood I don't recognize...

Well it's almost dark as we leave, but we find the highway easy enough and make it back to the hotel around 10:30pm without getting lost. Wow, a long (almost 230km) but interesting day. Shower and off to bed...


About Me

    I got tired of writing the same email to everybody asking about life on the road. So here it is, day by day...
  • My profile

Previous Posts

Archives

Credits

RSS Feed